- Shaffer, S. (Guest Editor). (Spring 2012). Early learning: A national conversation. Journal of Museum Education. Walnut Creek, CA: Left Coast Press, Inc, Vol 37 (1).
- Shaffer, S. (Nov 2011). Opening the doors: Engaging young children in the art museum. The Journal of Art Education. Reston, VA.
- McRainey, D. L. & Russick, J. (Editors). (2010). Connecting kids to history with museum exhibitions. Never too young to connect to history: Cognitive development and learning (Shaffer, S.) Walnut Creek, CA: Leftcoast Press, Inc.
- Shaffer, S. E. (2009). The museum connection: A field guide for educators of children 3-7. Smithsonian Early Enrichment Center, Smithsonian Institution, Washington, DC.
- Shaffer, S. & Danko-McGhee, K. (2004, Fall). Looking at art with toddlers, NAEA Advisory. Reston, VA: National Art Education Association.
- Shaffer, S. E. (Ed.). (2004). Imagine! Introducing your child to the arts. Washington, DC: National Endowment for the Arts.
- Shaffer, S. E. (1996). Born to collect: Helping children find their treasures. Parent and Preschooler, 13(6). (Available from The Lindner Early Childhood Training Institute)